- We entered Sterngate and Stickpin offered to buy a round at the nearest pub. Pubs make excellent headquarters for local gangs and intel flows as long as the ale (or coins) does too. On the way we passed Sterngate’s lightning rail. Next train out was scheduled to leave in the morning. Stickpin chose the Mangy Wererat Inn. The lodgings didn’t look promising but the ale did.
- Stickpin was eyeing a dice game and rubbing his fingers together. Alden requested a wine list. Theirastra and I swore/chuckled and dove into our ales. A gnome came into the common room and headed to a table to our right. The same gnome was hanging around the front gate when we entered. A note was passed to a cloaked, hooded individual. We’ve been grassed! The gnome departed with his tip and the cloak and hood were thrown back to reveal a female Dragonborn in armor. A warrior holy woman from the look of it.
- Lady Dar stopped at our table and discreetly revealed a copy of the Dark Lantern sigil and a letter of passage. She was also tasked to track Lucan. She followed our trail and was able to catch us flying on her pegasus, Peggy. We caught her up on currents events and she joined us for some drinks.
- Stickpin entered the dice game and livened up the night by betting a GOLD PIECE on making a hard six. After the shock wore off bets started flying. Three tosses later, Stickpin catches the hard six. Even the losers were cheering when he bought several rounds for all. He also bought us a pair of eyes to watch the train for anything suspicious. I headed upstairs to rest and read my spell book.
- Around 3 am, Stickpin knocked, entered and told me we’re on the move. The train was warming up and Orien guards were posted at the passenger platform. I grabbed my kit and drank half a flask of rum to keep the hangover at bay. The station was lit and there was activity around the train. The train had 9 cars; 2 engine cars (1&9), 2 passenger cars (5&6), 3 cargo cars (2-4), 1 crew car (8) and 1 lounge car (7). The cars were 60 feet long and 20 feet high. 2 guards watched the southern end of the platform and 2 in the north.
- Dar flew out of the stable on Peggy and circled the train cars twice then swooped into one of the passenger cars. Impressive. Stickpin dashed into the shadows and disappeared. Alden, Astra and I cautiously approached the platform expecting the same reception we get at every platform, dominated guards. We were not let down. We got ready to do the Old Dash and Slash when two packs of wolves came running at us from the north. (the front of the train). A pack of 4 charged at me while Alden was bowled over by a guard and Therastra was engaged with the other guard.
- I drew a fire flask and hurled it at the pack. 2 wolves died in the flames. The other two attacked. One high and one low. They both got me. Bleeding was severe. I disengaged and dashed past the guards but the wolves caught me. I screamed in pain and blacked out.
- ‘Astra told me later that Alden freed himself (by head butting the guard) ran through a swarm of bats and grabbed my unconscious body away from the wolves. He carried me onto the train and was able to stabilize me. He’s a good lad.
Gurney's Journal pt. 12
Ye Gods, we get it! You want us to walk everywhere.