- It’s been awhile since my last entry. Let’s just say Whitehearth unhinged me. I’m grateful my father is not one of the eternal cadavers feeding wolves. We made it back to Sharn and turned the schema over to Alaydren. She thanked us and disappeared. At breakfast the next morning, a messenger gave us an envelope filled with 2 pieces of paper and platinum coins. One piece was an invitation to Myriad Tower and the other had a “V” on a dark lantern. The invitation told us to come prepared for travel and a possible mission.
- We geared up ad headed to the tower. I finished my Goggles of Night. Most of my companions are non-humans who can see in the dark. I won’t have to be led by the hand in unlit situations. We arrived and the iron doors were sealed against normal footpads. Rumia, noticed a beggar looking person across from the door. She sat down, chatted a bit and showed the lantern paper. The beggar was a guard and opened the door for us.
- We entered an indoor jungle and met an old man named Viorr Malek. Malek told us he is a captain with the Dark Lanterns. The Lanterns are the intelligence branch for the King of Breland. Malek had us ‘audition’ before he gave us a mission. We had to subdue some dire apes. We did and Malek gave us the job.
- Malek explained that Lucan, a Dark Lantern operative, disappeared a couple of days ago. Lucan broke into a secure Lantern vault and stole the “Soul Blade”, a powerful magic sword. Malek described Lucan as a veteran spy and accomplished fighter. Malek is worried Lucan will try to use his intelligence contacts to work against Breland. Lucan took his coach and left by the East Road. Are mission was to catch lucan, dead or alive, and retrieve the Soul Blade.
- We were given travelling papers saying we were working for the King of Breland and a letter of credit. We headed for the East Road. Malek warned us that Lucan seems more powerful than he was. Tracking criminals, right up my alley.
Gurney's Journal pt. 6
A few weeks later